So, I’ve just had a realization: every single recipe on my blog so far is chocolatey. Whoops! And as you have guessed from the title of this blog post – this is going to be chocolatey, too and I’m not sorry about it – I don’t think you should be either! This is my healthy upgrade to the usual bread pudding. I love bread pudding – it’s warm, gooey with a toasted top. It also uses up stale bread if you have any lying around. It’s absolutely decadent as you shovel spoonful after spoonful and it’s not as sinful as your usual store-bought bread pudding.
Of course, as with any healthy upgrade, the calories still count – the bread, dark chocolate, and butter all add up to calories, however, this version cuts back on some of it with better substitutes! Eat in moderation as one should with any indulgent food!
Sink into the goodness and get bakin’ with these ingredients:
- 200G of dark cooking chocolate (or dark chocolate with high cocoa solids)
- 2.5 cups of non-fat milk
- 1 tsp of coffee mixed with a little warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 a loaf of whole wheat bread (or any bread you have lying around)
- 1 tsp of butter
- Preheat the oven and keep the gas mark at 1
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over some simmering water and add in the butter, coffee, vanilla, and milk in progressive steps
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl and add it slowly to the chocolate mixture to avoid cooking the eggs
- Cut the bread into cubes of 1inx1in and place in a separate bowl
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture on to the bread and let it sit for a while to soak
- Place the bread bowl in an aluminum tray with some water and cook it in the oven for an hour on low (gas mark 1)
Take it out and let it cool before enjoying!
This pudding is absolutely worth it! With toasty bread at the top and warm gooeyness in the middle, it’s the perfect combination with the gloomy weather!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe and I’ll see you very soon!
All my love,